Sunday, January 16, 2011

No Phone Today

My phone died a quick, unexpected death yesterday and I'm incommunicado via telephono until late Tuesday due to it being a weekend and Monday being a holiday. It's a very strange feeling for some reason. I don't talk that much on the phone, but it has become a habit to check for email and texts constantly. I heard a comedian describe it as following the mailman around asking do you have anything for me now? Did something come in yet? And I had to plead guilty.

It's very strange what cell phones have done to us. I'm not THAT old, but I did grow up with a party line and listening in on other people's conversations was a little game kids would try to get away with. Now, I don't even have to try and I hear all about a stranger's problems. I marvel at how freely people talk (and how loudly) about very personal things. It's as if they forget they are not in the privacy of their home. And then, there's texting. I don't know what the parameters are for most people's texts, but sometimes I just want to comment or ask, but not necessarily carry on a conversation. I just want the facts, maybe. It's interesting how many back and forth texts I can have, when it really might have been quicker to have a conversation.

It would be easy to turn this into a cell phone rant, but I'm not going to let that happen. I just wanted to say that if you were inclined to call, I can't talk to you until Tuesday.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I couldn't care less about my cell phone, don't even know the number and half the time it's not charged. But let my computer go down and I feel absolutely out of touch with the world and anyone I care about. Glad for the news about YOUR phone however because I was just about to give you a call. Have you thot about a cheap land line? You could at least use calltwo"-)

Kathleen Botsford said...

I love the visual about following the mail man around. Made me laugh out loud! Oops! I'm showing my age!!! And I call my 'cell' phone my "car phone". How antiquated is that? I really only use it to keep in touch with the kids.