Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Collage Under Glass

I did this piece in July, but didn't post it then because it was a birthday present for my seester and I didn't want to ruin her surprise. I admit I totally copied the lettering style and quote from Lorraine Douglas. I love that style and it's not as easy as it looks. Even though it was her idea of spacing and style, it IS my lettering. She used a brush. I used a pointed pen. And that little quote still makes me smile.

This is on a very thin glass plate with a slight curve. All the collage is done in reverse, i.e. you layer from the top down because you're doing it on the underneath side of the glass. I did the lettering on Arches, used shaved pastels for a bit of color around it, then tore it to fit the plate. The plate is about 4x6.

The lettered piece was put down first, then I used different kinds of torn paper, some type torn from a book, etc. to fill out the edges. If there were any clear spots of glass showing, I covered it with something. I used good ole Modge Podge for my "glue" and sealed the bottom with flat black gesso.

Behrenberg Glass Company is a great source for "seconds" in glass bowls and plates. I ordered several platters and different size plates to have on hand to experiment with. These are delicate and make great gifts.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Great lettering Connie.....I like the sentiment, too!

Diane said...

Wow, you've really been busy! This is delightful! I've tried decoupaging on the back of glass; it ain't easy. Dare I hope that I will see your smiling face in person in the not too distant future?

Also,thanks for your very gratifying comment on my Halloween post. BTW--it's moody skies of Autumn (not August) ;)

Lorraine Douglas said...

Oh, this is totally cool....what a nice compliment....the quote was from Georgia Deaver's handout at the workshop...