Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ultimate Lemon Squares

Today I made Lemon Squares using a recipe I got from the French Nest. She adapted it from Anna Olson's recipe, who has a bakery in Port Dalhousie. You'll notice that she calls for "icing sugar" which I am assuming is powdered sugar or confectionery sugar. Anyway, that's what I used. I squeezed fresh lemons for the juice and just for good measure, I used a yellow mixing bowl and a yellow spatula.

It's totally unfair to use Tom's review as Word because he's such a sucker for lemon bars. But if you're looking for a winning recipe, here's a Luscious one.

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 cup + 2 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest (I can never get zest. I guess I don't know what to do. Anyway, I omitted this.)

*Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan
*For the crust: In a medium bowl, cream the softened butter with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the icing sugar and 1 cup of the flour, and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium, and beat until well blended. Press the dough firmly over the bottom of the pan. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
*For the topping: In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, granulated sugar, remaining 2 1/2 tsp of the flour, the lemon juice and the zest. Beat with the electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Spread over the cooled crust (I was too impatient to wait) and return to the oven for 20-25 minutes more, until set. Let cool thoroughly in the pan before cutting into 2-inch squares. (I cooled and then refrigerated before I cut and dusted.) Dust with icing sugar.

2 comments:

Sarah in Disturbia said...

sounds like retirement is agreeing with you : ) wish I was there to sample the fruits of your labor!

Sara said...

These bars sound yummy! I am doing the no sugar, no flour diet...so I'll just drool thinking about the lemon squares. And I LOVE lemon!

I've added you to my blog. I love your writing about life!

xoxox