Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spring in PA


So much for "Oh poor Pittsburgh and the terrible weather there." It's bordering hot, some would even say we've crossed the border. I might be one of them. It's sunny, beautiful, still, and a delightful spring. Frankly, I get a little tired of the emphasis put on weather comparisons. Most people have a horribly lopsided, totally out of proportion idea about what the weather is like here.

The spring is beautiful, much like spring in Tulsa, but more green. So many flowering trees, Lenten roses, tulips, daffodils, forsythia, a star-like blue flower I'm not familiar with, the rhododendrons. One thing I really like is the black soil. Isn't that odd? But for an Okie, that black soil is very exotic. I remember the first time I saw black soil was when I was about 22 years old on a visit to Illinois. I said (sad to say, in all seriousness), "Why do they burn all the flower beds?" And that's when I learned there was something other than RED DIRT!

Lawzie me!:)

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I remember the first time I saw a rhododendron bush, while living in NY. I couldn't get over how gorgeous! When we built our house, I planted them across the front of the house. Loved the springtime pictures. Send some of your little cottage sometime. Missin' ya!

Sarah in Disturbia said...

What an awesome memory about the black dirt!! Love it!!!