Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quinoa

Last night I tried the grain quinoa for our complex carb at dinner. Pronounced keen-wa, it's most like couscous in weight and texture. I cooked it with garlic, onion, and chicken broth. Takes about 15 minutes. It's the only grain (as I understand it) that is a complete protein. It's a great substitute for wheat bulgur in tabouli.

This morning was a very filling bowl of 5-grain "oatmeal," cooked with soy milk and a couple of scoops of protein powder. I used Truvia for sweetner and some cinnamon. A few walnuts and 1/4 apple and I should be set for the next 3-4 hours.

Day 3 and still going strong.

2 comments:

Juleah said...

I left a comment on your previous blog so check that. I tried quinoa for my first time about a month ago, in fact I was going to blog about it as my first "health food" entry but chose raw milk instead. I really enjoy quinoa and plan on cooking it tomorrow with some fish. Great texture and super healthy! Also, I order all of my tea from Teavana.com. Their tea is amazing and their web-site is very educational. Tea is superbly healthy and each one has different health benefits. I give the kids herbal tea alot and they love it! Today I am grinding my own wheat for the first time and am excited about that, wish me luck!

Sarah in Disturbia said...

I love quinoa! Remember when we made quinoa toubouleh?? Seeds of Change brand has all sorts of rice/grain blends that I eat with stir frys. Yum.