Thursday, April 2, 2009

Guud Zjob!

I was at the gym today and even though the weight area was filled with sweaty guys grunting and groaning, I was determined to start my quest for those toned arms. With my little 8 lb. weight I finally got up the nerve to get right in the middle of it and use one of the empty benches for my tricep work. There were these giant weights at the end of the bench and it wasn't long before I realized I was using the bench of someone who'd been taking his pause between sets. Since I was doing one arm then turning and doing the other arm, I just kept going. I could see his feet pacing. When a bench opened up a few benches down, I told him I could move since my weights were not nearly as heavy as his. "No, no, no. Stay," he said. And I did. Finishing my routine with no grunting, I put my weight up, the swarthy Italian, dripping with sweat and wearing those little gloves with the fingers cut out, stopped and gave me a thumbs up. "Guud zjob," he said. For some reason, I felt so proud.

1 comment:

Sarah in Disturbia said...

that is so cute!! I can just picture it.

I used to feel that same way in college and then I realized that all those big guys were more interested in looking at themselves than looking at me.

And then I realized that I was at a predominantly gay gym and THAT was why they weren't looking at me.

And THEN I realized that all the skinny people were in the weight room and all the fat people were on the little hamster wheels/stairmasters/ellipticals