Monday, May 14, 2007

What I Learned from my Mother

On Mother's Day I couldn't help but think about my own mother and the mother I eventually became. From my mother, I learned to believe that I could accomplish anything I wanted. I learned responsibility. I learned to stay busy. I learned that life is short. I don't know that I learned how to be a mother. I didn't learn how to make rules for someone else. I didn't learn how to guide. Still, I became a mother and my daughter has surpassed all expectations. Nature? Nurture? Maybe pure love.

What I hope my daughter learned from me is that love is unconditional. That fresh flowers can do more for the soul than the room. That sometimes you don't have to say anything. That you can make huge mistakes and still recover. That sometimes you learn more from a bad example than a good one.

I may not be the perfect mother, but glory be, what I do know is I have the perfect daughter:)

1 comment:

Sarah in Disturbia said...

thank you for that. As your "not-so-perfect daughter" I appreciate the unconditional love that I feel from you. Without a doubt. much, much, love. xo