Saturday, May 22, 2010

Nemacolin & Fallingwater


Wow. Somehow life got in the way of blogging. While I haven't been blogging, I've been busy doing other things. Tom came to Pittsburgh for a week and while he was here we went to Nemacolin, a woodland resort in the Laurel Highlands of the Allegheny Mountains. I love the way that description sounds. It's a beautiful area of over 2000 acres with wildlife habitats, golf, skiing, just about anything you might want to do outside. On the grounds was this beautiful little meditation chapel. The picture at the beginning was the walk to the chapel.


Just a short 20 minute drive from Nemacolin was Fallingwater, the famous private residence built by Frank Lloyd Wright, maybe even the MOST famous one. If you are not familiar with it, it's a structure that is cantilevered over a waterfall. This is one of those amazing places that was a "weekend home" for a prominent Pittsburgh family in the early 1940s. Here are two photos. One, the home from a distance, and one showing steps from the living room down to the water so the Mister could flyfish without leaving the house.



I think I'd have a hard time staying for only the weekend.

1 comment:

Diane said...

When my daughter was in college, her Japanese boyfriend got a summer job as docent at Fallingwater. As he was showing a group through the rooms, he overheard a man remark to his wife, "I guess the Japanese own this now too!" I agree, it would be hard to stay for just the weekend. It is tranquillity incarnate.