Monday, September 14, 2009

Jalapeno Jelly

Today I ventured into a world I thought I'd left way back there in my early days. I made jelly. But in all my jelly days, never did I need to wear an orange bandanna like a cowboy bank robber in my kitchen. And still, the coughing, sneezing, choking and running for water persisted. My cat ran for cover early on. It is amazing how the fumes from those little peppers permeate the air. I had to go into the backyard only one time to catch my breath.

As I looked for recipes, I was surprised to find that jalapeno jelly recipes had primarily bell pepper in them with only 3 jalapenos. That just didn't make sense to me. I finally found one here with the only ingredients being jalapenos, vinegar, sugar and pectin. The peppers were from my one little pepper plant that still keeps producing. I have two big bags in the freezer, I have given some away, used some and now used about 18 peppers to make jelly.

Start to finish, the project took about one hour and 20 minutes. When I took those jars out of the water bath, I had forgotten how sweet that little popping sound was, letting me know that all the jars were sealed just right.

Six lucky people will get one hot! Christmas present this year. Or maybe only five;)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What do you do with Jalepeno Jelly? Is this something you put over cream cheese and serve with crackers? It's hard for me to imagine but it sounds like you had fun.