Sunday, January 25, 2009

Movie Magic

It seems like I go weeks, even months, without seeing a movie and then it's as if I can't get enough. This happens every year about Oscar time. What a coincidence.

Although I haven't seen Milk, my vote at this moment for best actor is Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler. He IS the wrestler. It's a very sad story in many ways and when my daughter asked if it was a true story, I told her that "No, it's not based on a real person but it's a true story for more people than we want to admit."

For best actress, today I'm drawn to Anne Hathaway-- haven't seen Revolutionary Road and Kate Winslet will probably win best supporting for The Reader. I'm actually surprised that she is being recognized for The Reader -- I'd read that they'd pass over that because of the sexuality. Good movie; better book.

Best Movie? I loved Slumdog. It was such a surprise and even with the poverty and tragedies, it ended upbeat. But then Benjamin Button -- wow -- I keep thinking about it -- Haven't seen Milk. If I were voting though, I'd probably vote Slumdog if for no other reason than everyone seems to be so taken with it.

No comments: