Thursday, July 17, 2008

Retirement On My Mind

Retirement is on my mind these days. How to do it, when to do it, where to do it. Many of the "guides" I look at talk about the chance to become the person you could never be, all the self-discovery or self-realization that can take place. It's a little intimidating really, especially when they pepper the margins with quotes like these:

It is often safer to be in chains than to be free. (Franz Kafta)

It's always the same; once you are liberated you are forced to ask who you are. (Jean Baudrillard)

I think I pretty much know who I am and what I'd be if I didn't work. And yet, I can't help but wonder if work has suppressed or suffocated who I really am to the point that Yes, there will need be self-discovery. I've never thought of my identity as being wrapped up in my job or in job relationships. If anything, they are SO disconnected to who I am that they cause me angst a lot of the time.

Maybe it's self-REdiscovery I'll be looking for.

No comments: