Monday, June 11, 2007

Inspiration Comes When You Least Expect It

We went to see the movie "Waitress" over the weekend. A sweet movie with lots of creative pies as part of the story. I was so inspired afterwards that I made a dynamite cobbler using Asian pears, cranberries, raspberries, a few blackberries and some strawberries. Cooking unleashes creative juices -- I enjoyed the process and the end result. The movie was more than just a comedy and stirred up ugly memories of my previous marriage from hell. Sad that it reminded me too many women feel trapped in controlling relationships. It had a happy ending, though, and I left with a smile.

We're going to Seattle this week for my nephew's graduation and I've been looking for a good book to take for the plane ride. Yesterday I saw that Oprah, bless her heart, has selected "Middlesex" as her book du jour. This is a book I've had for some time now but haven't read, so once again, Oprah to the rescue. If Oprah loves it, I'm sure I will too.

ADDENDUM: I ended up not reading Middlesex, but read Kite Runner instead. Very powerful book. Highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Sarah in Disturbia said...

I am inspired to see the movie now as I too love to create through cooking.

I have not read a fiction book in YEARS. I cannot bring myself to read a book that does not improve me in some way. So it seems I read nothing! Hmmmmm . . . .

Anonymous said...

This will blow your mind. I recently read (a nonfiction study) that said the more fiction a person reads, the more empathy they have and the better they perform on tests of social understanding and awareness. They hope that their findings can have implications for educating children and adults about understanding others.

The more authors of fiction that a participant recognized, the higher they tended to score on measures of social awareness and tests of empathy – for example being able to recognize a person’s emotions from a picture showing their eyes only, or being able to take another person’s perspective. Recognizing more non-fiction authors showed the opposite association.

The researchers surmised that reading fiction could improve people’s social awareness by exposing them to concrete social knowledge concerning the way people behave, and by allowing them to practice inferring people’s intentions and monitoring people’s relationships. Non-fiction readers, by contrast, “fail to simulate such experiences, and may accrue a social deficit in social skills as a result of removing themselves from the actual social world.”

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.